no right click

Friday, March 8, 2013

Personal Rig Rebuild Phase 1

My delivery from NewEgg came today with the first phase of the rebuild of my personal rig.

The rig is starting life as a Gateway GT5404 which is as it was from the factory except for having 2GB of DDR2 upgraded from the 1GB that it was shipped with.

The first stage of the build will reuse the case, power supply, and hard drive, which I plan to upgrade in the 2nd phase of the build, which will be when funding permits.

For now, the motherboard is going to be replaced with the MSI FM2-A75MA-E35.  I chose this board based on past experience I have had with MSI and it is a low-cost FM2 socket board that has an HDMI port.  This was not meant to be any high dollar build with hugely exceptional performance, but as a good budget rig that I can use for gaming.  The gaming is where the HDMI comes in, as this will allow me to easily use my living room TV as the monitor.

For the processor and memory, I chose the AMD A8-5600K APU, which is a 3.6Ghz Quad-core processor with a Radeon 7560D GPU built into the processor, and G.Skill Sniper 1866 memory.  The 1866 memory is the max speed that the MSI board supports without overclocking and I know that it will be important to have that extra speed since the GPU will be using this memory.  With the memory sharing in mind, I chose the 8GB (2x4GB) kit.

The last piece of hardware in the NewEgg box was a Rosewill USB wireless adapter.  This may only get use until I setup DD-WRT on an old Linksys WRT54G I have laying around, but will allow me to get connected prior to having the DD-WRT'd router setup as a wireless bridge.

There was also another delivery of parts that consisted of a component board with USB, VGA and AC ports for my family laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1750.  This is to replace the current part with a damaged AC power connector.

I hope to get the chance to have unboxings, overviews, and reviews of all of these products on the blog and possibly YouTube soon.  I am also hoping to have some pictures or video regarding the removal of the old components and installation of the new components on both PCs.

No comments:

Post a Comment